Drill: Ground Ball Competition
This is a fun competition game for working on fielding grounders and getting in the proper position to field the ball.
8 cones or throw down bases or chalk to define playing area; baseball
Split group into 2 teams. Maximum of 3 or 4 on each team. Can be played with as few as 2 players (1 on 1 game).
- 1 Player is playing at a time for each team.
- Both players must start behind back cone or line.
- Player with the ball starts the game by throwing the ball toward the player on the other team. Rules for throwing are:
- Ball can bounce any number of times before getting to the other team.
- If thrown in the air, it must be caught or hit the ground before going over the back line. (see #1 in illustration above)
- Ball must be thrown between the cones. (see #2)
- First player in the line from the other team must move forward and field the ball anywhere in the fielding area. He doesn't have to let it bounce as long as he stays in the fielding area. (see #3)
- Once he has fielded the ball, he becomes the thrower and throws the ball back to the player on the other team. He then goes to the end of the line.
- Ball is not fielded cleanly (defined as not hitting the ground after hitting the glove or other body part)
- Ball is fielded outside of the fielding area.
- Throwing team throws the ball outside the fielding area.
Notes: You can add additional rules based on what you want them to work on. If you want them to work on fielding the ball in front of them, have a rule that the ball must travel over the back line in play or it is considered a throwing error. This prevents players from trying to cut the corners with the throw. Now, if you would like them to work on fielding balls to the side as well as in front, allow throws to be legal as long as they hit once in the fielding area.
I have been approached by a coach friend about helping him next year coach a LL team . So U am trying to educate myself to help coach and more importantly help my son go as far in this sport as I possibly can. I have been looking over this site for quite a while today and it is very informative and helpful, it is refreshing to see someone like yourself wanting to help kids and parents and not like most of them just trying to make every dollar they can. I want to say hats off to you, I really appreciate the time and sacrifice that you put into this.
- Chris C.