Baseball Drills: Defensive Baseball Drills : Infield : Ground Ball Competition
Drill: Ground Ball Competition
This is a fun competition game for working on fielding grounders and getting in the proper position to field the ball.
8 cones or throw down bases or chalk to define playing area; baseball
Split group into 2 teams. Maximum of 3 or 4 on each team. Can be played with as few as 2 players (1 on 1 game).
Scoring - Points are given for mistakes and can be given to either the throwing or fielding team. The goal is not to get points. 1 point is added to the team total for each of the following:
- 1 Player is playing at a time for each team.
- Both players must start behind back cone or line.
- Player with the ball starts the game by throwing the ball toward the player on the other team. Rules for throwing are:
- Ball can bounce any number of times before getting to the other team.
- If thrown in the air, it must be caught or hit the ground before going over the back line. (see #1 in illustration above)
- Ball must be thrown between the cones. (see #2)
- First player in the line from the other team must move forward and field the ball anywhere in the fielding area. He doesn't have to let it bounce as long as he stays in the fielding area. (see #3)
- Once he has fielded the ball, he becomes the thrower and throws the ball back to the player on the other team. He then goes to the end of the line.
First team to 10 points loses.
- Ball is not fielded cleanly (defined as not hitting the ground after hitting the glove or other body part)
- Ball is fielded outside of the fielding area.
- Throwing team throws the ball outside the fielding area.
Notes: You can add additional rules based on what you want them to work on. If you want them to work on fielding the ball in front of them, have a rule that the ball must travel over the back line in play or it is considered a throwing error. This prevents players from trying to cut the corners with the throw. Now, if you would like them to work on fielding balls to the side as well as in front, allow throws to be legal as long as they hit once in the fielding area.
© Copyright 2000-2014. QCBaseball.com. All rights reserved.